Welcome to Rotary

Maplin Lighthouse 1841 – 1931

On the Burnham waterfront, a scale model lighthouse draws the eye of both visitors and local residents.

Created by the Rotary Club of Burnham-on-Crouch and Dengie Hundred, the model commemorates the Maplin Lighthouse, which once stood on Maplin Sands at the mouth of the River Crouch. First illuminated on 10 February 1844 and abandoned on 24 August 1931, the original structure was washed away the following year.

The station was staffed by three keepers, with two on duty at all times.

For more than 90 years, the lighthouse served as a vital guide for mariners navigating local waters. The Rotary movement, now a global organisation, has been supporting communities for over a century.

Donations placed in the base of the model are directed to local charities. In this way, the lighthouse continues its tradition of service—helping us support people both within our community and beyond.